perpetual beta

The VCFA MFA in Graphic Design Program Blog

Process: Paulina M. Johnson

June 23, 2017

A thorough look at the multi-variegated work of VCFA MFA in Graphic Design candidate Paulina Johnson. Paulina has been conscientiously entrenched in exploring semiotics, semantics, haptic/tactile work, alongside rigorous writing, research, and form-making.

Canvas On Wood Created during my third semester, this piece explores a different way in which canvas can be utilized to create form. This process stemmed from my paper quilling experiments and gave way to an organic and meditative process of making.

Canvas On Wood
Created during my third semester, this piece explores a different way in which canvas can be utilized to create form. This process stemmed from my paper quilling experiments and gave way to an organic and meditative process of making.

Diametrically Opposed Poster Series Inspired by my study of the differences and similarities between art and design, (and also created during my third semester), this series reflects my interest in the interplay of dualities. I am especially intrigued by the space that is created in-between each polar end.

Diametrically Opposed Poster Series
Inspired by my study of the differences and similarities between art and design, (and also created during my third semester), this series reflects my interest in the interplay of dualities. I am especially intrigued by the space that is created in-between each polar end.

Diametrically Opposed Poster Series

Drill Bit Coral Literally created by wrapping strips of paper around a hexagon drill bit, this was an exercise in repetition, structure, and pattern. This piece was created during my second semester.

Drill Bit Coral
Literally created by wrapping strips of paper around a hexagon drill bit, this was an exercise in repetition, structure, and pattern. This piece was created during my second semester.

Dual Ink & Water Created during my first semester, this small piece aimed to communicate the interplay of dualities. In this case, the dark and overpowering presence of modular high-rise structures in contrast to the subtle and curvilinear reflection of a perhaps forgotten forest.

Dual Ink & Water
Created during my first semester, this small piece aimed to communicate the interplay of dualities. In this case, the dark and overpowering presence of modular high-rise structures in contrast to the subtle and curvilinear reflection of a perhaps forgotten forest.

Junk Mail Wave & Figures Created during my second and third semester respectively, this was an exercise in repurposing material. As a graphic designer I’ve always resented the amount of litter, and specifically junk mail, we produce. By rethinking brochures and marketing catalogs as working material instead of paper waste, I discovered a passion for working with paper.

Junk Mail Figures
Created during my second and third semester respectively, this was an exercise in repurposing material. As a graphic designer I’ve always resented the amount of litter, and specifically junk mail, we produce. By rethinking brochures and marketing catalogs as working material instead of paper waste, I discovered a passion for working with paper.

Junk Mail Wave

Little Boxes Inevitably we, as human beings, categorize and compartmentalize experience. This is not only to ensure our survival, but to help us navigate the world. We put everything into little mental boxes, which we access to assess and judge both people and circumstances. While I believe this is natural, I also believe it is something we can gain control over and reassess.

Little Boxes
Inevitably we, as human beings, categorize and compartmentalize experience. This is not only to ensure our survival, but to help us navigate the world. We put everything into little mental boxes, which we access to assess and judge both people and circumstances. While I believe this is natural, I also believe it is something we can gain control over and reassess.

Packets I absolutely love designing books. While this practice was not the focal point of my work each semester, I utilized the packet system to continue exploring the form of the book. Each packet served as a chapter which catalogued my state of mind and progress throughout each semester.

Packets
I absolutely love designing books. While this practice was not the focal point of my work each semester, I utilized the packet system to continue exploring the form of the book. Each packet served as a chapter which catalogued my state of mind and progress throughout each semester.

Paper Quilled Alphabet Created during my second semester, this collection of coiled strips of magazine pages explores the form of the letter while creating a sequence of value according to each page’s content; negative to positive space.

Paper Quilled Alphabet
Created during my second semester, this collection of coiled strips of magazine pages explores the form of the letter while creating a sequence of value according to each page’s content; negative to positive space.

Paper Quilled Alphabet

You & I Moving beyond material dualities, this piece was created as an interpretation of the interaction between “You and Me”. We are created by the same material, sharing endless common threads, yet living under an illusion of individuality and separation that is not really there.

You & I
Moving beyond material dualities, this piece was created as an interpretation of the interaction between “You and Me”. We are created by the same material, sharing endless common threads, yet living under an illusion of individuality and separation that is not really there.

Best Authentic Sneakers | 2021 New adidas YEEZY BOOST 350 V2 “Ash Stone” GW0089 , Ietp