perpetual beta

The VCFA MFA in Graphic Design Program Blog

Process: Matthew Scott Barnes

June 22, 2017

The latest in the Process series of posts highlighting the work of VCFA MFA in Graphic Design candidates shines the proverbial spotlight on Matthew Scott Barnes.

MattyB01

Based in Louisville, Kentucky, the intrepid Mr. Barnes does business under the moniker Studio Post Office, working professionally on identity design, corporate strategy, and much, much more when he is not restoring vintage mopeds.

44 Buck Book Shelf One of my first attempts at creating a new one of a kind piece out of inexpensive generic furniture. The goal was spend little money and create a structurly sound functional unit to hold a mass amount of our book and toy collections. I found 10 dollar press board white shelves and bought three, Found beam wood left behind by the last tenant in our garage and 14 bucks on furniture legs and hardware.

44 Buck Book Shelf
One of my first attempts at creating a new one of a kind piece out of inexpensive generic furniture. The goal was spend very little money and create a structurally sound functional unit to hold a mass amount of our book and toy collections. I found ten-dollar press board white shelves and bought three, found beam wood left behind by the last tenant in our garage, and spent fourteen bucks on furniture legs and hardware.

Beating a Dead Horse: A Crude Fashion Zine This zine was created as a tool to push my daily making as well as creative writing. It follows a fictional journey meeting up with my ultra fashionable friends and sharing a automated illustration fashion board for each encounter.

Beating a Dead Horse: A Crude Fashion Zine
This zine was created as a tool to push my daily making as well as creative writing. It follows a fictional journey meeting up with my ultra fashionable friends and sharing a automated illustration fashion board for each encounter.

Jimmy Savile is a Creep This was a visual response to Chuck Klosterman’s I Wear the Black Hat. Within the book it discusses the events Jimmy Savile (an English TV and radio personality) took part in. The acts included child pornography and molestation that was apparently well known within the industry. The piece reflects the dramatic memory of a victim. The image is clear enough to make out but areas are blacked out from numbness and over-stressed to try to forget.

Jimmy Savile is a Creep
This was a visual response to Chuck Klosterman’s I Wear the Black Hat. Within the book it discusses the events Jimmy Savile (an English TV and radio personality) took part in. The acts included child pornography and molestation that was apparently well known within the industry. The piece reflects the dramatic memory of a victim. The image is clear enough to make out but areas are blacked out from numbness and over-stressed to try to forget.

Fuck The World.  Loud statement on a small .75 in enamel lapel pin.

Fuck The World.
Loud statement on a small .75 in enamel lapel pin.

It Follows Movie Poster This is an in-process look at a project I am currently working on. It is for a special screen that will be happening at some point this year. The concept is based from the outcome from the movie’s fan base. It’s a fantastically written and shot movie that reaps inspiration from classic 80s and 90s horror movies. I wanted to give the visual the same respect, by making the poster based off of a VHS box.

It Follows Movie Poster
This is an in-process look at a project I am currently working on. It is for a special screen that will be happening at some point this year. The concept is based from the outcome from the movie’s fan base. It’s a fantastically written and shot movie that reaps inspiration from classic 80s and 90s horror movies. I wanted to give the visual the same respect, by making the poster based off of a VHS cassette box.

Totally Drunk 5th Edition This was originally going to be the second part of a diptych along side of the Jimmy Savile is a Creep poster. The thought behind it focuses on the victim Lindsay Lohan and the effects of being a child actor. Similar to The Savile piece, this shows a partial portrait along with literally blacked-out memories.

Totally Drunk 5th Edition
This was originally going to be the second part of a diptych along side of the Jimmy Savile is a Creep poster. The thought behind it focuses on the victim Lindsay Lohan and the effects of being a child actor. Similar to The Savile piece, this shows a partial portrait along with literally blacked-out memories.

Lucero Gig Poster I have always enjoyed this band and was asked to do a poster for them at 2016’s Mid Point Music Festival in Cincinnati, Ohio. I wanted to concept the poster after their newest album and one song in particular “Went Looking For Warren Zevon’s Los Angeles.”

Lucero Gig Poster
I have always enjoyed this band and was asked to do a poster for them at 2016’s Mid Point Music Festival in Cincinnati, Ohio. I wanted to concept the poster after their newest album and one song in particular “Went Looking For Warren Zevon’s Los Angeles.”

Miscellaneous Merch Bunch of trash that I made.

Miscellaneous Merch
Bunch of trash that I made.

Neko Atsume This was my understanding of the game from my girlfriend Kelly telling me about her favorite phone game. I learned more as I finished college, but still I’m dumbfounded that this is a game. The main image is a character, “the searcher” aka Kelly in this example. The searcher explores with his/her iPhone looking for different type of cats. I’m the Boris character, interrupting Kelly’s game. Some small details are the random cats from the game and others, too. Dr Doom represents the frustration of missing your captive, and Old No 7 is the Jack and Coke I was drinking.

Neko Atsume
This was my understanding of the game from my girlfriend Kelly telling me about her favorite phone game. I learned more as I finished college, but still I’m dumbfounded that this is a game. The main image is a character, “the searcher” aka Kelly in this example. The searcher explores with his/her iPhone looking for different type of cats. I’m the Boris character, interrupting Kelly’s game. Some small details are the random cats from the game and others, too. Dr Doom represents the frustration of missing your captive, and Old No 7 is the Jack and Coke I was drinking.

Really Dear Can’t You At Least Try. This was a personal concept based on interactions within my own life. I don’t always understand other people but when I am in a relationship I do try to do my best to be great partner. The collage has several female characters representing the “ideal” or what we are told is “ideal.” The main focus of the couple shows a man in the dark and the female lead upset because she doesn't want to change or become something she is not. Hasbro and Lego represents the building blocks/ toys that are sold to us at a young age. The ghost Snoopy and Woodstock are hiding behind a sheet or “wearing a mask.” The 16 and racer in the background are from the past relationship that seemed too fast, as it ended as fast as it started, but three years later.

Really Dear Can’t You At Least Try.
This was a personal concept based on interactions within my own life. I don’t always understand other people but when I am in a relationship I do try to do my best to be great partner. The collage has several female characters representing the “ideal” or what we are told is “ideal.” The main focus of the couple shows a man in the dark and the female lead upset because she doesn’t want to change or become something she is not. Hasbro and Lego represents the building blocks/ toys that are sold to us at a young age. The ghost Snoopy and Woodstock are hiding behind a sheet or “wearing a mask.” The 16 and racer in the background are from the past relationship that seemed too fast, as it ended as fast as it started, but three years later.

This was a project taking the inspiration of a Raymond Pettibon flyer (http://www.retardriot.com/store/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/1black_flag_zine.jpg) A recreating it purely digital and for an interview of Britney Spears by Chuck Klosterman.

This was a project taking inspiration from a Raymond Pettibon flyer. I recreated aspects of it purely digitally for an interview with Britney Spears conducted by the writer Chuck Klosterman.

Through Being Cool Saying coined by Devo and a Saves the Day album that represents the moment that I didn’t want to be “cool” or what I am told is cool. Up da Punx / Oi / Anarchy etc….

Through Being Cool
Saying coined by Devo that later became the title of a Saves the Day album—it represents the moment that I didn’t want to be “cool” or what I am told is cool. Up da Punx / Oi / Anarchy /  etc….

Too Young For Dreams Simple concept: every year I look at younger kids and they are increasingly braindead due to their heavy involvement with screens. The print shows a girl putting on makeup to check her iPhone. This is captured as a lifestyle choice and is for sale.

Too Young For Dreams
Simple concept: every year I look at younger kids and they are increasingly braindead due to their heavy involvement with screens. The print shows a girl putting on makeup to check her iPhone. This is captured as a lifestyle choice and is for sale.

Treatment is text itself Visual response to Michael Rock’s "Fuck Content" essay.

Treatment is text itself
Visual response to Michael Rock’s “Fuck Content” essay.

Trump Care I was asked recently to design a page for an issue of Louisville Unknown Magazine. The theme was Trump, so I wanted to use some quotes pulled from the president’s Twitter and juxtapose them with crop photography and a bad illustration I did. The point is really just dismay. We are in the storm and it’s hard to see clear sky.

Trump Care
I was asked recently to design a page for an issue of Louisville Unknown Magazine. The theme was Trump, so I wanted to use some quotes pulled from the president’s Twitter and juxtapose them with cropped photography and a bad illustration I did. The point is really just dismay. We are in the storm and it’s hard to see clear sky.

Trust None Part of my poseur goth clothing line.

Trust None
Part of my poseur goth clothing line.

Pending title The yin yang is described as opposing forces and it’s the complementary be long with each side.

Pending title
The yin/yang is described as opposing forces with the complement nestled within each side.

Sports Shoes | Nike sneakers