perpetual beta

The VCFA MFA in Graphic Design Program Blog

Alex Moya - A Hair Story

A Hair Story

February 4, 2015

When I was a kid I didn’t want to be hairy like my dad, it seemed gross. Now that I’m an adult and turned out about as hairy as him I look at my receding hairlines and think about how I don’t want to be bald, like him. Hair is one of those things that reveal a lot of our cultures. For example, we read femininity, manliness, race/ethnicity, and attractiveness (I think of my that high school teacher who was handsome, but the hair poking out of his nose was hard to ignore) through it.

Practicing before recording.

Practicing before recording.

I made “A Hair Story,” to talk about the different meanings associated with hair. To make the video, I grew my body hair and harvested it for a couple of months to get enough. I started by writing a story, then storyboarding it, and making a few letters as practice. Still, sometimes I had to change direction and improvise a different way to make the letters while filming because what I had sketched didn’t work. Working with serifs made legibility easier.

I made letters and words out of body hair to make obvious how our bodies are “written all over” with different, complex and contradictory meanings.

bridgemedia | Women’s Nike Air Force 1 Shadow trainers – Latest Releases , Ietp